It's rather tough finding a good buttercream recipe.. I finally found one that I fancy just enough to share it (: It's a basic sweet buttercream that's easy to whip up.. Good for filling cakes, good for frosting cakes.. and even for piping designs onto cakes. I used it to pipe ombre roses onto the cake I baked today.
It takes about 20 minutes to whip up a batch of it and I'll rate it a difficulty level 2 out of 5.
Basic Sweet Buttercream Recipe
225g unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
some milk (if necessary)
1. Place the butter of room temperature in a mixer with the paddle attachment.
2. Whisk on medium speed till pale and fluffy.
3. Add in 1 cup of icing sugar and mix well on low speed.
4. Scrape the sides of mixing bowl to ensure even mixing.
5. Add in the other cup of icing sugar and vanilla bean paste.
6. Mix well on low speed and add milk (by the tsp) if needed till desired consistency is achieved.
Colour with gel food colouring if you'd like.. This buttercream holds its shape well and firms up when refrigerated. Enjoy! (: