This chocolate banana cake project was done in May 2011.
Guess I was just being experimental and since I really love choco banana cakes, I tried this.
Recipe credits: Suzette Cooks and Simple Makan aka Sunesh
This cake's ingredients will cost somewhere between $40-50 on first try if you do not have most of the ingredients. If you have an equipped kitchen, this will probably cost $25-$30. This takes about 4 hours to piece together cos' it's a multiple stepped layer cake.
Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
Chocolate Chiffon Cake (A)
30g cocoa powder, mixed with 120ml water
4 egg yolks
75g caster sugar
130g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
60ml corn oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 egg whites
60g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tatar
1/4 tsp cream of tatar
225g dark chocolate
85g unsalted butter (I always use salted butter though)
3 eggs, seperated
250ml whipping cream
3 tbsp caster sugar
4 bananas, sliced
140 UHT whipping cream
350g good quality dark chocolate
1 tbsp butter
1. Preheat oven at 150 degree Celsius.
2. In a bowl, whisk Ingredient (A) until smooth.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar (from Ingredient B) until foamy. Add in sugar and continue whisking until stiff.
4. Fold (3) into (2) and mix evenly.
5. Pour into prepared 9″ lined cake tin and bake for 3-5 minutes at 150 degree Celsius. Increase temperature to 180 degree Celsius and bake for a total of 40 minutes.
6. Invert cake and leave to cool completely. Slice cake horizontally into 3 layers.
7. Double boil the chocolate. After it has melted, turn off the heat and stir in butter and egg yolks. Return to low heat and stir till mixture thickens.
8. Whip the cream until it is firm and set aside.
9. In another bowl, beat the eggs whites till' they turn stiff.
10. Add the sugar and whisk till' it turns shiny.
11. Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture. Ensure that the chocolate mixture is cool and not hot.
12. Carefully fold in the egg whites. Refrigerate mixture for 20-30 mins to allow easier spreading on cake.
13. Spread filling onto 1st layer of cake and arrange banana slices on top of filling. Top with 2nd layer. Spread filling and arrange slices of bananas. For the last layer of cake, spread cream filling on top and sides of the cake.
14. Chill the cake in fridge at least 1 hour to set.
15. When set, place cake on a wire rack, pour on chocolate frosting. Decorate as desired with fruits of chocolate chips. Refrigerate until set, before serving.
This cake is tough work!
It took me a grand total of 4 hours on first try but it was worth every bit of the 4 hour.
This is definitely a cake I'd bake when I've a choco banana craving!
I'd love to see the bakes or stuff you've cooked using the blog's recipe! Do share photos of stuff you've baked or cooked using the blog's recipe with me either via FB message to http://facebook.com/limcynthia OR http://facebook.com/thebakingbiatch OR via email at email@example.com! I look forward to hearing from you! (:
Post a Comment